One of the reasons I love coconut besides the taste, refers to its tremendous health benefits. Because of that, coconut oil is considered a “miraculous” product. More information about the healthy benefits of coconut oil, here.Also, unrefined, pure, virgin coconut oil is known for its properties on weight loss. It is considered a real “calorie burner”. More information about how eating coconut oil helps you lose weight here This particular cake is so delicious…easy to make and sooner than you think it’s gone
- Coconut Sponge
- 5 large eggs separated into whites and yolks
- 5 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 10 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 8 Tbsp. unbleached sifted flower
- 8 Tbsp. coconut flakes Strawberry filling
- 1 cup fresh heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. Strawberry Philadelphia cream cheese
- 10 strawberries finely cut
- 7 g unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbsp. water White Chocolate Topping 4.4 oz white chocolate (120 g)
- 1 Tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh heavy whipping cream
Coconut flakes for garnish:
Large bowls (plastic or glass)
Baking pan (rectangle 8X13)
1. Preheat the oven. Set the oven to 325°F for the first 15 min, then 350°F
2. Whip the egg whites.
Separate egg yolks from whites: place the whites into a large bowl (Picture 1) and yolks in a smaller one (Picture 2). Pour water and salt over the whites and using an electric mixer beat them on high until they become white and frothy (Picture 3). How to beat the egg whites for best results see here.
Now start adding the sugar, one tbsp at the time. You will end up with a white, nice and stiff mix that does not drip from the beater attachment (Picture 4).
3. Combine yolks and whites.
Add egg yolks to the beaten whites and mix well to blend.
4. Finish the batter.
Add sifted flour and coconut flakes, one Tbsp at the time and fold the mixture with a rubber spatula for getting the airy, foam-like texture of the sponge cake. The air incorporated by whipping the whites, gives these cakes volume, making them springy and elastic. Do not over-mix.
Transfer the batter into the baking pan. I used parchment paper inside cake pan. Spread the batter evenly and shake the pan a few time to allow any air pockets to be removed.Bake for about 30 minutes then test the cake to see it it’s ready. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if the toothpick comes out clean, the batter is done.
Set aside and let it cool down. Once the cake is cooled take it out of the pan and start covering with the strawberry filling.
1. Whip the cream:
Place the whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer start whipping on high until it’s nice and stiff. Set aside in refrigerator
2. Mix cream cheese and strawberries:
Into a mixing bowl place cream cheese at room temperature and strawberries. Mix them until well blended.
3. Gelatin preparation:
Mix gelatin with water and let it stay for about 5 minutes. Then heat the gelatin mix by placing the bowl over a bain-marie or in microwave. Add gelatin to cream cheese mix.4. Finish the filling:
Incorporate the cream cheese mix into the whipping cream mixing bowl by folding it with a rubber spatula. Pour the strawberry filling over the batter and spread it as evenly as possible.
WHITE CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
1. Melt the chocolate:
In a saucepan bring about 2 cm deep of water to the simmering point. Into a heat-proof bowl place the chocolate and put it on top of the saucepan. Chocolate will begin to melt very quickly while stirring it. Do not over heat the chocolate. If want to take the temperature to make sure it is not overheat, it should’t go above 65°C. Once the chocolate is shinny and glossy is ready.
2. Add butter:
Add butter into the melted chocolate and set aside until completely cooled.
3. Whip the cream:
Place the whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer start whipping on high until it’s nice and stiff. Set aside in refrigerator and when the chocolate is cooled add it to the whipped cream.
4. Finish the topping:
Spread the topping over the strawberry filling and garnish with coconut flakes as desired. Chill for a few hours or overnight.
1. For best results in getting a wonderful airy, foam-like sponge cake, make sure that the mixer attachment and bowl are very clean.
2. Never melt the chocolate direct on flame – it will be burned automatically and the flavor is altered. Also, above 65°C chocolate starts to separate.
3. For a nice slice of cake, immerse the cake knife into a glass of warm water every time you want to slice it, so that the fillings won’t stick on blade. Posted in Cakes, Covered in whipped cream Tags: cake, chocolate, coconut, creamy, strawberry, whipped cream, white.